The Martha Canfield Library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

Links

Minutes - May 2016 Regular Meeting

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
May 2, 2016

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:06 PM

In attendance: Cindy Pike, Alyson Grzyb, Dave Thomas, Darcy Nutter, Carrie Gutbier, Martha Folsom, Joe Zimmerman, Phyllis Skidmore (librarian), Brian Allen, Susan Bauers, Gracie Smith, Henry Cochran

Guests: None

Minutes (April, 2016):
• Corrections to Minutes
• Motion to approve minutes – Martha (motion), Carrie (2nd)

Librarian’s Report (summary):
• Painting is done, with repairs
• Basement is ready for insulators, however the AMHS A/P testing is scheduled for the first 2 weeks of May. Will start on 5/16, materials and testing.
• Went to town officer’s meeting – Dealing with public records. VT state records organization can help with retaining public records, disposal, etc. Dealing with challenging behaviors, using census data (website available), valuing town’s assets.
• Brian applied to Berkshire bank for grant for Russell Collection A/C upgrade/repair (requested $4500)
• Second rolling sign here – for E. Arlington corner
• Susan, Carrie and Phyllis planning special events, 5 activity weeks, wrap up party in August
• New show is up today
• Statistics running average
• Sign up sheet for board members upcoming
• Spring cleaning 5/22 12-5
• 6/3 gallery reception and panel discussion (6PM)
• Looking to do the lighting between the 2 blower door test. Phyllis will contact Randy
• Streamlining book sorting process (ongoing with Bob)
• Bookhouse opening on May 20.
• Courier service is going well, good feedback.

Treasurer’s Report (summary):
• Year-end adjustments have been made.
• Russell Collection rent is $3865
• Mountain Plumbing fixed a pipe and the toilet downstairs
• Expenses running normally

Old Business:

Buildings and Grounds update

1. Landscaping (Brandon)
A. Take down Arbor Vitae? - Yes
B. Use library rocks for landscaping? – Yes, just on library property

2. 20th Anniversary Meeting
A. Got posters for community
B. Postcards for most donors
C. VIP guests will get formal invitations (about 30)
D. Meeting Thursday 5/5: Designing past/present/future tables, displays, planning food, review paid advertising, walkthrough
E. Looking for a photographer
F. Flowers from garden club
G. Essay contest – grades 3-5 (Susan), upper grades (Gracie). Board essays are due 5/13, email to library.

3. Chamber of Commerce
A. Out of business, membership fee may be pro-rated

4. Little Library – Phyllis will stop by town office, Keith will build.

New Business:
1. Brian meeting with Dave VanDeWater, will make poster for FUTURE table about funding, fundraising, etc. Review Manchester capital campaign list. Will meet with Orvis, Bank of Bennington, Hunter Foundation (Williamstown).

2. Committee updates
A. N/A

3. Review letter from Wolf Roxon (assistant librarian)
A. Schedule change, and possible retirement. 20 hours per week (Tues, Wed, Thurs) possibly through the winter.
B. Phyllis will try to come up with a job description for assistant librarian for the June meeting

Next meeting – Monday, June 6, 2016.
Meeting adjourned at 8:06 PM (Martha moved, Brian seconded).