The Martha Canfield Library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

Links

Minutes - June 2016 Regular Meeting

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
June 6, 2016

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM

In attendance: Cindy Pike, Alyson Grzyb, Dave Thomas, Darcy Nutter, Carrie Gutbier, Martha Folsom, Joe Zimmerman, Phyllis Skidmore (librarian), Brian Allen, Gracie Smith
Absent: Henry Cochran, Susan Bauers

Guests: None

Minutes (May, 2016):
Corrections to Minutes – Keith is selectman from Arlington, not builder of Little Library. Little Library to be built by John Davies
Motion to approve minutes – (motion) Martha, (2nd) Carrie

Librarian’s Report (summary):
Jim Secor providing insulation quotes and heating/cooling system quotes for the Russell Collection.
Routine work, getting ready for the anniversary event.
Basement and lighting done
Upcoming events – June 7th and 26th - 6:30PM coloring workshop. June 19th, 2PM - Bill Budde genealogy seminar. July 9th – 3PM gallery opening reception, July 17 genealogy, August 6th 3-5 gallery opening, August 14th – 2PM Bill Budde Newspaper and Cemetery Research. Sunday, September 4th – 2PM presentation (William Hosley) – Libraries, More Than Books
No update on the Berkshire Bank grant request
Most recent gallery opening was very successful – 30 people attended

Treasurer’s Report (summary):
Expenses running OK
Finance committee meeting, July 18th to look at upcoming expenses

Old Business:

1. Buildings and Grounds update –
Landscaping is done and looks beautiful. Phyllis mentioned that we have received many compliments. Questions about ongoing maintenance. Possibly use some budget money to touch it up in following years. Bushes at top and other side should be addressed.

2. Little Libraries update
A. Keith (selectboard) concerned about vandalism. Having another meeting this week. Phyllis will send them the information (website). Could be placed other spots, but we will try to focus on getting permission. Dimensions will be sent to John Davies to build.
B. At a later date we should consider – town hall in Arlington, town hall in Sandgate, Sunderland or in front of the Bookhouse.

3. Committee updates
A. Planning children’s programs for summer – Carrie/Susan are working with volunteers. Theme is on your mark, get set, read. Sports, activities, healthy nutrition. Book giveaway to kids attending.
B. Bill Budde’s report was reviewed

4. Job Description for assistant librarian
A. Tabled for next meeting

5. 20th Anniversary Celebration Update
A. Celebration went very well. We brought attention and focus to the library.
B. 115 people attended
C. Debate was very well received
D. Speakers did a great job
E. Guitarist was beautiful
F. Timing was tight
G. Will send thank you to Dave VanDeWater

Executive Session
Martha moved to go into executive session at 7:52, seconded by Alyson.
The board came out of executive session at 8:25PM.

New Business:
1. Long Range Planning
A. Darcy will send information, thoughts for August meeting. Review LRP, give feedback. Darcy will send current LRP.

Next meeting – Monday, August 1st
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM.