The Martha Canfield Library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

Links

Minutes - August 2016 Regular Meeting

MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
August 1, 2016

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:06 PM

In attendance: Cindy Pike, Alyson Grzyb, Dave Thomas, Darcy Nutter, Carrie Gutbier, Martha Folsom, Joe Zimmerman, Phyllis Skidmore (librarian), Brian Allen, Susan Bauers, Gracie Smith, Simon Metcalfe

Guests: None

Minutes (June 6, 2016):
• Corrections to Minutes
     o Executive Meeting was called to discuss an issue with a patron
• Motion to approve minutes – Alison (motion), Carrie (2nd )

Librarian’s Report (summary):
• Form 471 for telephone e-rate discount filed. Dropped to 40% this year, 20% next year, then no discounts. SoverNet contract expires in 3/2017 – negotiation will be necessary, and comparing bids for fiber connect and telephone. Dept of Libraries does the forms for Fiber Connect. We do Request for Proposal.
• 51 boxes of cookies were given from Vermont Country Store donations for annual fund
• Children’s programming attendance varied. Dancing with Ashley tomorrow, 8/2 at 10:00 AM, final for summer. Storytimes continue.
• Jane Bloom has resigned from Chair of Advocates group. No current candidates.
• Basket raffle and craft show, and 50/50 raffle will still be held.
• Board member sign ups. Art show this Saturday 8/6. Genealogy – August 14th from 2-4. More than Books event, from Vermont Humanities – Sunday 9/4.
• Berkshire grant update (Brian) – on agenda for next month, expecting questions from them after their meeting.
• Little Libraries – Phyllis will go to the Arlington Board Meeting next month to answer questions they may have.
• Library Assistant, reviewed suggested job description. Need to find out about current position, when will it be vacant. Need to emphasize inter-library loan and children’s program planning duties as these will be important to the position.

Treasurer’s Report (summary):
• Advocate’s committee leadership currently vacant. Norman’s Attic tag sale will not be done this year.
• Library sale will be held in front of Library at Norman’s Attic, August 13. Looking for used good donations.
• $2500 funding requested from town of Shaftsbury was denied
• The endowment investment is performing better at last check
• Expenses are matching well now with budget
• Copier rollers were replaced, but copier will need to be replaced within the next year or two. Will likely need to budget for a new copier in 2017

Finance Committee report:
Reviewed financial status, discussed stocks vs. bond percentages in the endowment fund.
Martha moved that we increase our possible investment percentage up to 65% in stocks. Joe seconded. Motion carried.

Old Business:

Buildings and Grounds update – not presented

1. Federated church charity supper. Federated church puts on a dinner with another organization, and the money is shared. September suggested, Saturday, September 17. Approximately 10 people would be needed. Setup 4-5, serving 5:30, cooking help needed. Ham and Bean dinner suggested. Seating up to 90, free will offering. Board agreed that it’s a good idea. Alyson will get details and email to Board.
2. Reviewed wording on Annual Fund envelope request
3. Long Range Planning
    -Reviewed goals that were met. Sunday programs, good attendance. Continue Videoconferencing efforts.
    -Did not start a book discussion group, nor Senior meetings. Moms meet on Wednesday while kids are in storytime. Should be put in next long range plan.
    -Martha resigned the adult program leader position so it will need to be filled.
    -Need to work on sections of new long range plan.
4. Gracie will review with Simon how to run the GNAT video camera and prepare a program for the library, explain the plan. Simon will take on the project going forward.

New Business:
1. Motion to meet 2nd Monday in September – Martha, Brian (second), motion carried.
2. Greeted Simon Metcalfe as the new youth board member. Nominated by Martha, second by Brian, motion carried.
3. The board thanks Gracie Smith for all of her efforts and talents as a board member and wishes her well in the future. The Board accepted her resignation.
4. Board vacancy. Darcy Nutter is resigning as president, and from the board. Need a board member to fill her position until the end of the term, from the current board. Then we need to find a new member to fill the board vacancy. Alyson volunteered as active chair of our meetings, but declined the presidency. Will have at least 3 Board vacancies to fill by February, 2017. Martha and Joe will also be leaving the board. Reviewed timing and publicity.
5. Adult programming coming up. Sept 4th 2PM – More than books. 200 years of American library history with a special focus on New England.

Next meeting – Monday, September 12th
Meeting adjourned at 8:31 PM.