martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY

MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING

October 3, 2016

 

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM

In attendance: Cindy Pike, Alyson Grzyb, Dave Thomas, Carrie Gutbier, Phyllis Skidmore (librarian), Brian Allen, Simon Metcalfe, Susan Bauers, Martha Folsom, Bill Budde (Russell Collection)

Absent: Henry Cochran, Joe Zimmerman

Guests: Erin King (Happy Days)

 

Minutes (September, 2016):

-Motion to approve minutes – Brian (motion), Carrie (2nd)

 

Librarian’s Report (summary):

-Phyllis hired Peggy Hanson to fill Wolf’s position. Peggy began work on September 30.

-The District Attorney’s office sent paperwork to Phyllis to fill out regarding the break-in which she has filled out and returned.

-The Memorial Service for Sarah Smith will be on October 22nd, and the reception following the service will be held at the library.

-Advocates – 50-50 raffle, $82 has been deposited from ticket sales already. Work on the craft fair and basket raffle is underway.

-Little Libraries – Phyllis went to Arlington select board. They want a written agreement that we will maintain the little library if it is put at the rec park. The decision will be tabled until spring.

-The Volunteer Recognition Party will be November 6th, 3 – 4 pm. Cindy is organizing food, board members asked to bring an item and to let Cindy know what they are bringing.

-Nelson Illinski has offered to do a gold panning competition as a library fund raiser, and Phyllis to let him know the spring would be a better time than now.

-10 people attended the September program “More Than Books”, 3 people were at the Genealogy program. The paintings in the Gallery’s show were not for sale, but a donation to the library is expected.

 

Treasurer’s Report (summary):

-The students at the high school organized a ‘Drive for $75’ to make up what we had lost in the break-in. Between Fisher School, the high school and an anonymous donation of $500 they raised $690. Cindy presented thank you letters for the board members to sign.

-Expenses and income running normally

-The amount needed for the annual fund is closer to $45,000. Brian presented the letter for corrections and additions and will also send a copy to John Spencer for suggestions.

-Discussed having some local citizens/patrons signing the annual fund letters, in addition to one trustee.

-A check was received from Vermont Efficiency for the work done in the basement of $1814.40

-We received approximately $632 from the Federated Church for the Ham & Bean supper. Alyson reported that all the feedback on the event was good and that the only item that could have been improved was the attendance. Approximately 80 people were served and 100 could have been. Interest was expressed in our taking part again at a future date. Cindy will write a thank you letter to the church.

 

Events:

-Fall Landscape CleanUp date set for October 22nd at 9 am. Board members asked to bring shears, etc.

-Genealogy program October 23 at 2pm

 

Buildings and Grounds Update:

-Application for the grant for Vermont Efficiency Deep Retrofit Pilot. (Energy saving renovations) had to be submitted before the meeting. We should know if the application has been accepted on October 15th and will have to decide if we want to take part at the November board meeting. The proposal for work to be done was presented by Jim Secor in the amount of $76,762.

 

Old Business:

-Martha will send notices regarding vacancies on the board to Front Page Forum, the website, Facebook and newspapers.

-Long Range Planning:  Members will work on specific areas: Alyson – Gallery, Susan – Children’s Programming (working with Peggy Hanson), Cindy and Carrie – Buildings & Grounds, Carrie – Communtiy Relations, Phyllis – Collections & Staff, Brian – Fund Raising & Select Board, Joe & Simon – Technology, Bill &David – Russell Collection, Martha & Simon – Adult & Teen Programming.

 

New Business:

-Jessica needs someone to take over the position of Gallery Director. Martha will ask Joyce Kennedy.

Next meeting – Monday, November 7th, 7 pm

Meeting adjourned at 8:19 pm.

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists