martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
November 7, 2016
Held at the Arlington Inn

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:04 PM

In attendance: Alyson Grzyb, Dave Thomas, Carrie Gutbier, Martha Folsom, Joe Zimmerman, Phyllis Skidmore (librarian), Brian Allen, Henry Cochran, Simon Metcalfe

Guests: Sheila Kearns (potential board member), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)

Minutes (October, 2016):
• Corrections to Minutes
• Motion to approve minutes – motion by Brian, seconded by Carrie

Librarian’s Report (summary):
• Peggy Hanson is the new assistant librarian and is doing interlibrary loan work and hands-on activity in the children’s and youth room, planning programs for kids. She is doing well in her new role.
• Advocates held 50/50 rally, and we received a total of $218, they are now working on basket raffle and craft show.
• Basket raffle and craft show coming up. Baskets go out on 11/18. Board will do a book theme related basket, need contributions by 11/15 (Tuesday).
• Bill has some books that are of higher values that might be used for a fundraiser. Books have been donated to the book sale, and higher value books sorted out. Topic last month was Dr. Russell (22 people attended).
• Quilting November 15 at 9, coloring group 11/8, 11/22 (Tuesdays) at 6:30. Bill will be scheduled for a talk.

Treasurer’s Report (summary):
• Need budget requests for next year’s budget via email
     -Martha suggested $200 increase in programming budget, to $1700
     -Children’s programming $800 budgeted, $200 spent. New library assistant will be reviewing and increasing the number of programs. Phyllis would like to request $1000 for next year’s budget.
     -Youth program, Peggy and Phyllis need to discuss, at $200 now, none spent. Increase to $250 in next year’s budget
     -Gallery – budgeted at $1000 last year. $560 on mailings spent so far this year.
     -Phyllis and Cindy to meet to discuss office supplies budget.
     -Technology, tech support, website, etc. Board discussed and will recommend budgeting for 3 replacement computers per year for $600 each. Since the current desktop computers are 5 years old, he goal is to replace all 10 computers within the next 3 years.
• Expenses running normally
• Current year will likely not have a surplus
• Bookhouse came in over $600 over budget ($8654) for this year.
• Sunderland town funds received.
• Received donations in memorium of Sarah Smith

Old Business:

1. Nominating committee review, open positions. (Dave VanDeWater will come in on February, Sheila Kearns is considering, John Spencer may be coming back on the board. In February, Bob Dudley is interested in coming back on the board.) Joe and Martha’s terms are up then. If approved, Sheila would fill the remainder of Darcy’s job. Still looking for a Gallery Director. Brian moved that Sheila will fill the remainder of Darcy’s term, Carrie seconded, motion carried. The term will end in February 2018, after which she will be considered for another 3 year term.
2. Volunteer party went very well.
3. Annual appeal will be going out shortly. Planning for mailing is in progress.
4. Long range planning discussions
     a. It was suggested to take all of the bushes out and plant grass near the memorial garden. Would the change be acceptable with the school? Needs more review.
     b. Discussed possibility of splitting buildings and grounds into 2 committees/responsibilities.
     c. Adult programming
     d. Teen and children’s programming
     e. Gallery
     f. Staff and Volunteers
     g. Technology – purchase 3 new computers each year. Partner with Mack? Brian will check.
     h. Community Awareness
     i. Relations with Town Select boards
     j. Networking reception with board members
     k. Continue to look for potential donors

New Business:

1. Efficiency Vermont grant, Alyson is meeting with Jim Secor, they will come over and speak with Phyllis. Grant has been accepted; need to get a quote for 50% energy efficiency. Amount that we will ask for still needs to be determined. Implementation plan is due March 1st. Humidity control and air conditioning needs to be installed in the Russell Collection. Alyson will review and provide further info after she reviews with Jim.

2. Fall landscape cleanup – Alyson, Cindy and Carrie came last Saturday (10/29) trimmed bushes and cleaned up landscaping.

3. Survey of library patrons – Joe will come up with a basic survey using a new free tool from Zoho Corp. He will send out a sample survey to the board members for approval, then send out a real survey before the end of the year. Need to check to see if we can get a link to post on Facebook or send out on Front Page Forum.

4. Discussion of sending a letter to Shaftsbury to request funds. North Shaftsbury residents use the library. Phyllis will get with Cindy to send letter. Need to get a number of library cardholders. Brian moved to ask for $2100, Joe seconded.

5. Discussion of increasing funding from Arlington, Sunderland and Sandgate. Arlington is $7.39 per person, Sunderland $7.68, Sandgate $8.50 per person.
     a. Requests for next budget year ($31,000 total requested from 4 towns):
        i. Arlington $18,000 total, $7.82/per person.
        ii. Sunderland will request $7500, $7.89 per person
        iii. $3400 Sandgate, $8.50 per person
        iv. $2100 Shaftsbury - $.58 per person
        v. Martha moved to approve these amounts, Brian seconded, motion carried.

Next meeting – Monday, December 5th, 7PM
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM.

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists