The Martha Canfield Library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

Links

Minutes - March 2017 Regular Board Meeting

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
March 13, 2017

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM

In attendance: Alyson Grzyb, Carrie Gutbier, Cindy Pike, John Spencer, Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Simon Metcalf, Brian Allen, Sheila Kearns, Dave Van De Water, Bill Budde (Russell Collection)

Absent: Henry Cochran, Dave Thomas, Charlie Cummings

Minutes
  • (February, 2017)
    o Corrections to Minutes - None
    o Motion to approve minutes –Dave moved to approve, Brian seconded, motion carried

Treasurer’s Report (summary):
  • Main thing to discuss is how to pay bill to Secor – where funds come from to pay the bill of $47,020. Currently have $34,150 in long term maintenance – 2 years ago there was a $5,000 grant (Boardman) for this type of work for the Russell Collection. A year ago there was an award for $2,500 from Vermont Country Store for AC in the Russell Collection. Prebates will cut down some (first was $3,000, second will be approximately $2,500). Still a couple of thousand short. Need to decide where it will come from – sinking funds?
  • A motion was made to cover the expense with money from long term maintenance, the Russell Collection funds mentioned above and the sinking funds – Motion by Brian, seconded by Sheila,. Motion was amended to state that future rebates will go back to the endowment. The motion carried.
  • Some work was done by Secor at no cost – winterized reading room attic and some modifications to Russell Collection shelves - $1,084 dollar value. Alyson suggested a thank you letter would be nice. Brian volunteered to write it.
  • Bank signature form for new officers was circulated.

Librarian’s Report (summary):
  • Phyllis sent out full report
  • Efficiency Vermont – LED lights to be discussed later
  • Gallery updated and a show is up – go look
  • Advocates had a meeting at end of Feb. Planning for the 50/50 raffle.
  • Peggy sister in law is donating some money – purchasing furniture for the children’s room, some museum passes, and legos for programs. Publicity to follow.
  • Saturday at 2PM – panel to do a gallery talk
  • Saturday April 1 – Gallery opening
  • Sunday April 2 – Sisters in crime anniversary party
  • April 22,23 - book sale
  • Alyson encouraged board members to attend talks and openings when possible

Old Business:

1. No committee reports other than the Russell Collection below
2. Efficiency Vermont Work – the part that was contracted has been finished
3. Long range planning – group exercise to be done at the end of the meeting
4. Russell Collection report – Collection was closed for several days due to heat pump installation and for personal reasons. Project resulted in some shelf space being lost, but improvements have been made.

New Business:

1. Quote for replacing fluorescent lights with LED bulbs. The quote is approximately $4,700. Replacing bulbs would help guarantee hitting 50% efficiency mark. We could replace the bulbs ourselves. Relatively easy to do according to Bill. This should save us about $2,000 / year. There is a $400 installation fee included in the $4,700 quote. Need to decide:
  a. Do we want to do the lights?
  b. Do it ourselves or pay to have it done?

  Motion to approve purchase of LED lights for the entire building to be installed by volunteers with the money to come from the sinking funds of the endowment. Brian motioned, Carrie seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

2. Landscaping - $3,000 in budget to do “other side”. Rip out trees except garden at top and plan trees. Will wait until weather improves.

3. Long range planning – go through sections and finish where possible

  Discussion about using Survey Monkey to solicit input from library patrons as well as those who do not use the library. Front Porch Forum, Facebook page, Website homepage, etc. Sheila to work with Phyllis to determine whether the free account is adequate and come back with a proposal at the next meeting.

  Each group added notes to finish out long range plan. Alyson will incorporate into current long range plan, send it out via email, and then plan to vote on it at the next meeting.

4. Brian suggested reviewing periodicals subscribed to by the library. He asked Phyllis to suggest any additions she would like to see. We currently purchase some subscriptions and others are donations (either through gift subscriptions or through people bringing in periodicals after they are read). Phyllis will start soliciting ideas.

5. Phyllis got information for the Vermont Summer Festival – we can purchase an ad. There was no real interest for the prices listed. Dave asked if the library had an annual media plan. There is really nothing in place. Brian mentioned the consistency we have made in terms of “advertising” and press releases.

Next meeting – Monday, April 3rd at 7PM
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM.