martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 •

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment



June 5, 2017

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**


The Board meeting was called to order at 7:08 PM

In attendance: Alyson Grzyb, Carrie Gutbier, John Spencer, Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection), Sheila Kearns, Dave Thomas, Simon Metcalf, Brian Allen, Bob Dudley

Absent: Dave Van De Water, Cindy Pike, Charlie Cummings

The only addition to the agenda was to discuss was to review proposed updates to the by-laws.


  • May 2017 – Sheila moved that the May minutes be approved as written. Dave T. seconded. The motion was unanimously approved.

Treasurer’s Report (summary):

  • Cindy sent the report today but was not in attendance to discuss

  • There were no comments or discussion on the report

Librarian’s Report (summary):

  • Book sale was good ($688 first weekend) – Bob reported that many boxes of books just put out sold well

  • Peggy is working on Children’s Summer Program

  • Some book donations from estates are in basement to be sorted

  • Statistics for program attendance are in the report

  • Great turnout for Don Keelan’s talk

  • No advocates meeting in May

  • Peggy working on collaboration with schools to promote Dorothy Canfield Fisher program – Phyllis described the program.

Russell Collection Report

  • Bill said May was a slow visitor month

  • Got together with Stephen Congdon’s family – may be an opportunity to add some materials to the collection.

Old Business:

  1. Light bulb switch-out update. A slight mix-up on the order. Can light vs. track light bulbs. Some were sent back and will be swapped for the correct ones.

  2. Landscape work – Carrie reported Brandon Tschorn hopes to be here by the end of the month.

  3. Alyson will work on proposed changes to the by-laws for the definition of “quorum”.

New Business:

  1. John reported on the Annual Fund statistics that were e-mailed out just before the meeting. More money this year from fewer donors.

  2. Relationship with school library – Peggy has visited both school libraries recently. Brian had recently asked what our relationship with these libraries was. He had gone to the high school library and talked with Mrs. Parker. It was a nice visit. Sheila said that school libraries were being stressed by budget and curriculum needs.

  3. Dave V. asked via email about following up on the strategic plan and following up on it in terms of accountability tracking actions. Alyson will add this to the agenda for the next meeting.

  4. Phyllis reported that an advocate suggested that old books that were being donated could be donated to artists to see what artwork they could do with them. Phyllis could explore it with the gallery coordinator.

  5. Phyllis will be meeting with Pat Williams to discuss annual book donations by the Garden Club

  6. Dave T. reported that the finance committee will be meeting in July – probably the second half.

  7. The next VT Humanities speaker will be on August 6th on restorative justice in various countries.

  8. The Russell Collection meets once a year in August. Not really a decision making meeting, more informative and long range planning.


Next meeting – Monday, August 7th at 7PM

Meeting adjourned at 7:45 PM.

New Books

for all ages


Click to see updated lists