martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
November 5, 2018

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM

Board Members In attendance: Brian Allen, Bob Dudley, Cathy Taylor, Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Dave Van De Water
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)
Guests: None
Board Members Absent: Carol Farley, Sally Ayrey, Carrie Gutbier, Katie McCartney

Additions to the agenda– 1. Annual fund discussion

Minutes:

---Previous meeting’s minutes – Bob moved that the revised September minutes be approved. Dave seconded. The motion was unanimously approved. The October minutes did not need to be approved since there was not a quorum at that meeting and no official business was conducted.

Treasurer’s Report (summary):

---Sheila and Brian met with Sally to discuss the books and Sally’s meeting with the accountant. There was discussion of properly reporting the income and changing the way we have done it over the past few years. This was especially messy in the area of income from the endowment.
---Brian said that Sally said we have artificially looked at “restricted funds” that are not really restricted. Brian said some of this money can be used more to support the Russell Collection and that the Russell Collection is really part of the Library and not a separate entity. These “restricted funds” don’t need to rise to the level of keeping a separate account. John asked some questions about tracking specific bequests but will follow up with Sally to get more details.
---Brian is in the process of organizing a Finance Committee meeting in the near future so that the budget can be presented in January.

Librarian’s Report (summary):
---We need volunteers to help with the “indoor” farmer’s market. Peggy and Phyllis will each take a day. It starts the Friday after Thanksgiving and runs through the Friday before Christmas.
---We are trying to organize a Community Calendar. Phyllis doesn’t have a lot of time but looking for volunteers to set it up (including an App) but also keep it updated – maybe some high school students would be involved in at least the setup.
---Holiday basket raffle. Does the board want to do a basket? Yes. Need to choose a theme and then bring in contributions. Last year was “best-sellers”. A theme of Arlington and the surrounding towns (maybe as far as the state) – local history. Let Phyllis know when you know what you’d like to donate. Need books by 11/14.|
---Grant from Berkshire Bank for $1,400 for children’s programing.  Phyllis will be working on the State annual report soon as soon it is made available by the state.
---Upcoming events – some need volunteers - 11/10, 11/17 – Fiber arts programs. 11/18 – Medicare discussion, 12/1 – cookie swap, 12/6 – How to de-stress for the holidays. 12/8 – Cookie decorating and screening of the Polar Express in the morning (need undecorated cookies). Part of the Arlington Renewal program – move events later in the day around town. Hoping to do Santa on 12/18 based on Santa’s availability.
---More details in the Librarian’s Report

Martha’s Book House Report:
---Closed last Saturday in October. There are plenty of books downstairs for re-stocking.

Buildings & Grounds:
---Fall clean-up has been done. Not much weeding was needed. Carrie was going to follow up on taking out the Yew tree.

Gallery:
---Dave reported that Rockwell is still in the gallery. Phyllis reported that craft sales had been declining over the past few years so she is thinking of not doing a holiday craft sale this year. Phyllis suggested a student art show soon. Dave want to start planning for next year. Wants to recruit a co-chair from the community for next year. Thinking of doing four shows of longer duration rather than monthly shows. Have other events to bring people into the gallery. Perhaps also an alumni show with artists that have graduated from Arlington. Lots of ideas.

Russell Collection Report:
---Bill said 7 people did research in October. $78 in income from donations. Some researchers from out of town in CT and PA.

Old Business:
1. Board vacancies – Sheila will be contacting possible recruits
2. Planned giving – Sheila has not gotten in contact with Flo Belnap yet
3. Appropriations – Most requests for additional funds are due by 12/31 and often require a budget. Sunderland requires a petition for an increase. Same for Arlington – petition would be due in mid-January. In some towns votes are during the floor meeting and some it is on the ballot. Thinking that some increase requests would probably be appropriate.

New Business:
1. Brian is working on the Annual Fund letters and getting them out for donors who gave $100 or more in the last 3 years. The next round of letters will follow. John mentioned that he will be out of town next week.

Next meeting – Monday, December 3rd at 7PM Meeting adjourned at 8:20 PM.

 

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists