martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 •

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

October 1, 2018

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM

Board Members In attendance: Brian Allen, Sally Ayrey, Bob Dudley, Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Carol Farley

Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)


Board Members Absent: Dave Van De Water, Laura Crosslin, Katie McCartney, Cathy Taylor, Carrie Gutbier

No additions to the agenda
There was not a quorum so no official business was conducted.

• Corrections to the minutes were reviewed.
• Previous meeting’s minutes – were not approved due to not having a quorum. John will send out the revised minutes for review.

Treasurer’s Report (summary):
• Meeting with the accountant keeps getting postponed. Sally has fixed some things that were mentioned earlier in a review by the accountant (too many accounts, sinking funds, management expenses, etc.). October 17th meeting planned with Cindy Herman.
• Balance sheet – sinking funds under long-term liabilities. Still need to be fixed.
• Balance in the Berkshire account – Sally will continue, as has been done in the past, to use income from the endowment to cover cash flow later in the year. She is asking the board for help in collecting from the towns. This would help our cash flow.
• In terms of the budget, Sally has “fixed” the budget to put in the investment management fees ($7,000). Having done that, the budget is pretty well balanced. We have historically budgeted gross income but realized net income. This has always caused the budget to be “out of whack”. Budgeting the management fees will help correct, but it should and will be done differently in 2019.
• Phyllis reported we got a donation of $5,000. Phyllis will send a thank you note and Brian will call him to thank him.
• No other items to report.

Librarian’s Report (summary):
• Phyllis is no longer on jury duty.
• The library has present been at the Arlington Farmer’s Market
• Peggy has a full program for children, teens, and tweens
• We have been doing the Vermont Reads program – three more events still scheduled
• More details in the Librarian’s Report
• Peggy requested an unpaid leave of absence from January 4 – February 4, 2019 and requested time off from the board during this period. Phyllis says she feels comfortable allowing this given Peggy’s organization and ability to plan in advance.

Buildings & Grounds
• Carrie will arrange for the fall cleanup and for a tree to be planted. There was discussion on whether a vote on the expenditure or whether it was already in the budget.

Russell Collection Report
• The townscape association is dissolving. It was designed for beautification and preserving history. Nancy Boardman and Dave Thomas are on the board and are trying to figure out what to do with the money in their accounts. The question is whether the library is willing to “incorporate” the historical society in the same way we have done with the Russell Collection? There are some large physical things that the Historical Society would like to display somewhere.
• Sheila - The mission of the Library is different from that of the Historical Society and would need to be revised in order to “incorporate” the Historical Society under the library’s 501(c)(3) status.
• Sally – how do we handle this financially?
• Bill said that the Historical Society by-laws are all drawn up already.
• Sally said it might make more sense for the Historical Society to keep all of the money
• Bill also said maybe they can just change the name of the Townscape Association? All agreed this might be the easiest.
• The next Historical Society meeting is here on Thursday evening at 6:30.
• Bill thanked the board for the supplemental funding for his involvement

Old Business:

1. Phyllis reminded us we need to think about the amounts of funds we ask from each town.

New Business:

1. Carrie will finish her term in February but will not “renew”. Sally will take us through the 2019 “fiscal” year, but then will be leaving the board. We are seeking 2 board positions in the future. We only have 11 board members now which means we are currently short one. Carol suggested we ask Denise Koeller a recent volunteer. Brian will ask for people who might be interested at the Arlington Renewal meeting tomorrow night.

2. Brian is writing the annual appeal letter. Shelia sent the Sandgate Grand List to Brian. He would like to get the letter out by the end of October. Looking for people to sign from each community represented.

3. Sheila would like to reconstitute a “planned giving” committee but doesn’t have a good idea on how to get that going.

4. Carol volunteered to be on the Finance Committee

Next meeting – Monday, November 5th at 7PM
Meeting adjourned at 8:00 PM.


New Books

for all ages


Click to see updated lists