martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
June 3, 2019

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:02 PM

Board Members In attendance: Sally Ayrey, Cathy Taylor, Carol Farley, Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Betsy Habberfield, Brian Allen, Denise Koller Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Curator, Russell Collection)
Guests: None
Board Members Absent: Dave Van de Water, Judy Steron

Additions to the agenda– Denise wanted to add an agenda item to new business to discuss the salaries of employees. Betsy wanted to discuss funding for the Normal Rockwell exhibit.

Minutes

     Previous meeting’s minutes – Betsy moved that the May minutes be approved as revised. Denise seconded. The motion was unanimously approved.

Treasurer’s Report (summary):

     - Denise sent out the reports.
     - We received a matching fund
     - We received $1,000 from the Boardman Foundation to be put toward the Rockwell exhibit. This donation would have otherwise have been earmarked for the Russell Collection. Sally pointed out that we are no longer separating monies specifically for the Russell Collection.
     - Phyllis has received two additional $50 checks directed to the Rockwell Exhibit

Librarian’s Report (summary):

     - Phyllis sent out a report on the library conference. |
     - Phyllis passed around pictures of the Memorial Day float in the parade.
     - Now discussions are started for the 4th of July parade in Sandgate – they are thinking of going with the summer programming theme.
     - Phyllis did the GNAT interview. It is available on the GNAT website.
     - Phyllis attended a workshop on opioids and the Library. They discussed trying to change the stigma associated with the addiction to these drugs. They talked about resources available. Phyllis brought home a couple doses of Narcan as well as instructions for use. The instructions were sent to Sheila and we can discuss what to do with this information at the August board meeting. There was discussion about Narcan and opioids and how this applies to the Library. An information session makes sense, but should the Library be a place that “administers” Narcan? It was suggested that the Arlington Renewal group might be interested in hosting/sponsoring a discussion. Other libraries have had opioid overdoses on their properties. At the workshop, it was recommended that staff not be required to administer Narcan if they don’t feel comfortable doing so.
     - Summer programming is pretty well organized
     - Summer market starts on June 21. We want a table some weeks but not all weeks. Carol, Denise, and Sheila all said they could do a week.
     - Phyllis started the weeding process of books.

Martha’s Book House Report
     - The book sale opened on Memorial Day. No report on sales.

Programming (Adult, Youth, Children’s)

     - Carol will be meeting with Phyllis to try and complete some of the preparation.
     - VT Humanities Council presentaton with an author was planned by Phyllis.
     -
Bill has a program on Arlington’s Charter Anniversary on July 28th at 2PM

Gallery

     - Dave sent a written report.

Russell Collection Report

     - Bill passed out a report that showed a number of visitors from 6 different states in the last month.
     - Phyllis thanked Bill for his help with the float.

Old Business:

     1. No old business

New Business:

     1. Betsy brought a topic for a group who is organizing the Rockwell exhibit. They are starting a “Go Fund Me” but it needs to be directed to an organization. It would be the Library who gets/holds the funds. If there were an excess, Dave hoped it would go into a Gallery income line. Betsy asked about the “legality” of what we do with excess. Denise suggested we just document what happens to the excess in the Go Fund Me statements. Denise suggested the wording be reviewed by the library before posting it on Go Fund Me. Sheila asked about the financial mechanisms. Denise asked about the fees charged. Betsy said this information would be shared with the board. We will be putting this money into “Gallery Income” to help keep it straight. Sally clarified that it will be set up as a project grant to segment the money from other money. Only the excess will go to the Gallery income line. This is related to the item listed under old business on the agenda.
     2. Denise spoke about salaries for librarians. A smaller library in Vermont had more employees and paid higher salaries than Martha Canfield Library. Denise wants to bring the Martha Canfield Library up to more current standards. We already know more hours are spent than what is expected in the job description. Salary surveys from the Vermont Library Association might be a starting point. Sheila made the point that the things that make us stand out as a “good” library are the fact that we keep our budget low by having only 2 part-time librarians and that we utilize many volunteers.
      Sally asked if any progress had been made in getting Missy here to discuss increasing our income. Brian, as chair of the finance committee, will be organizing questions and scheduling a finance meeting.
      John suggested we understand what market salaries are (Sheila will take this) and then we put together a plan for funding it. Sally pointed out that we don’t have a lot of discretionary expenses.
      Betsy made a point that all of the volunteers require a tremendous amount of training time by the librarian. Sally reminded the board that we have had board committees in the past that handled some of this activity – more operational responsibility. Sheila asked if anyone was interested in collecting, organizing, and updating policies for the library. Sheila suggested we get started with an inventory of the policies. Betsy and Laura will work on compiling the policies.
      Denise also spoke about the meeting room policy and the art gallery policy and wants to make sure these are being used and enforced. These documents include liability issues which would be important if people use the gallery or meeting room.

Brian moved to adjourn. Carol seconded. The motion was passed unanimously.

 

Next meeting – Monday, August 5th at 7PM
Meeting adjourned at 8:28 PM.

 

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists