martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING

September 9, 2019

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**
The Board meeting was called to order at 7:07 PM
Board Members In attendance: Sheila Kearns, Brian Allen, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Carol
Farley, Denise Koller, Betsy Habberfield
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)
Guests: None
Board Members Absent: Cathy Taylor, Judy Steron, Sally Ayrey, Dave Van De Water
Additions to the agenda– No items added to the agenda
Minutes
 Typos – a couple of apostrophes and misspellings were identified (positive, financial,
delinquent, etc.)
 Previous meeting’s minutes – Carol moved that the August minutes be approved.
Denise seconded. The motion was unanimously approved.
Treasurer’s Report (summary):
 No glaring problems
 The Project Grant Income/Expenses - Rockwell Grant is about $12K of this / Exhibit
expenses have been about $3K so far.
 John asked about doing a monthly budget with perhaps comparison to LY
 Betsy asked what happened if not all of the grant money was used for the Rockwell
Exhibit. Excess would go to gallery at this time. We can consider if we want any to go to
Russell Collection or other areas as appropriate once we know what the amount is.
Advocates Group Report
 Chili dinner on October 6 th – need donations of food
 Event starts at 5PM. Food probably needs to be there in advance
 Expecting about 100 people
 There is also a pie auction
Librarian’s Report (summary):
 No report filed on Saturday as usual, but sent late today
 Summer reading programs wrapped up Aug 8 th

 Life in a Jar program with 43 people – best attendance ever at a Humanities Council
program
 Farmer’s Market 3 times – 90 free books given away
 50/50 raffle tickets still available
 Board needs to choose a theme for a holiday basket. – Betsy suggested chocolate, Brian
suggested books. We will finalize a decision in the October meeting
 2 new story-walk books this year that Peggy did
 Grant of $500 from VT reading partners – plans in place for making kits and purchasing
books
 Usage statistics are normal
 Listen Up VT users has been going up steadily – the Library pays a portion of this
through a consortium but not based on usage.
 More details in the report submitted
 Long range plan needs to be reviewed and updated soon.
 Brian suggested evaluating how we do against the current plan in December
 We can begin planning new goals after the next Annual Meeting

Programming (Adult, Youth, Children’s)
 Carol reported on Adult Programming. We are kicking off VT Reads – The History of
Race - September 22 at 2PM.
 Wednesday, September 25 th at 6:30 PM – introduction of 2 books – how to read a
graphic novel, read the first chapter of “To Kill a Mockingbird” out loud to get people
interested.
 Carol will arrange childcare.
 Wednesday, October 9 th – try to show the movie – To Kill a Mockingbird if we have a
license
 October 20 th at 2PM – Bill will do a talk on eugenics
 These will all be bundled as a package – Phyllis is planning flyers
 Final discussion will likely be November 3 rd at 2PM
Staff and Volunteer
 Laura drafted an Assistant Librarian Job Description
 Enhanced but generally similar to what it was
 Phyllis would like another person to participate in candidate interviews (board member)
 Position will be posted soon at a variety of places

Gallery
 Rockwell reception on September 21 in Montpelier
 Sheila asked if we are sending formal invitations to the reception – Betsy wasn’t sure
 Sheila was interested reaching people already in Montpelier – government officials,
state library officials, etc.
 Betsy has been unable to get in touch with Dave – Bill suggested Don.

 Carol suggested getting in touch with Cynthia Browning to help invite people
Russell Collection Report
 Bill sent out a report this month
 16 inquiries this past month
 Several donations of Civil War letters

Old Business:
1. Still looking for a student board member and we’ll also need a person to replace Sally in
February – Carol and Brian had some suggestions for students. Discussed having a
youth advisor vs. a youth board member. Maybe even a small group of interested
students. Sheila will review the By-Laws to see if any re-wording is needed for a change
like this.
2. Staff compensation – Brian suggested going into executive session.
o Brian moved that we go into Executive Session to discuss personnel issues,
Denise seconded. The motion was approved unanimously.
o Executive session was exited.
o Denise made a motion to increase the Librarian salary to $31,493.28 annually.
The assistant librarian and Russell Collection curator be increased to $15 /
hour. All changes to go into effect starting September 10, 2019. Carol
seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

New Business:
1. Technology
 Phyllis has a copier quote
 Phyllis has been in touch with the computer people we have worked with in the
past
 Phyllis is putting something together to request funding from Mack for the
computers and copiers.
 Asking for 5 PCs and 1 Mac – two year plan
 Bill asked about the 10 laptops we have downstairs – He will investigate their
current operating system and condition.

Next meeting – Monday, October 7 th at 7PM
Meeting adjourned at 8:55 PM.

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists