martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
October 7, 2019

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:06 PM

Board Members In attendance: Brian Allen, Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Carol Farley, Betsy Habberfield, Dave Van De Water, Judy Steron
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)
Guests:
Board Members Absent: Laura Crosslin, Denise Koller, Sally Ayrey

Additions to the agenda–

  1. No additions

Minutes

  • Previous meeting’s minutes – Carol moved that the Month minutes be approved as submitted. Betsy seconded. The motion was unanimously approved.

Treasurer’s Report (summary):

  • Denise provided an email update since she was not able to attend.
  • No major issues.

Librarian’s Report (summary):

  • Annual report to VT Dept of Libraries opens soon so Phyllis will begin collecting statistics
  • Working to support the 2020 Census including the ability to do it online at the Library
  • Phyllis went to Montpelier for the Rockwell opening reception
  • The VT Reads program has begun
  • Circulation and other statistics are about average
  • There was a short discussion of the State Librarian’s visit

Programming (Adult, Youth, Children’s)

  • Carol – A talk about 3 weeks ago on the history of race.
  • Kick-off of VT reads – only 5 participants – watched a clip of an interview of John Lewis. Discussed reading a graphic novel
  • Showing “To Kill a Mockingbird” this Wednesday at 6:30PM
  • Bill is doing a talk on eugenics on Sunday, October 20.

Gallery

  • Dave reported on the reception and opening of the Rockwell exhibit in Montpelier.
  • Good crowd, good speakers, etc.
  • Phyllis has some free admission tickets at the front desk
  • Want to follow up on a “VIP” reception in January. Coordinate with local legislators to host. Invite people from renewal committee, select board, etc. from Arlington.
  • Want to do an ad in the News Guide thanking people and organizations for their help
  • Try to get a linkage with students. Carol said Arlington students were definitely going up.
  • The initiative generated over $12,000 in donations much due to Don Trachte. Costs will total around $5,000.
  • Dave asked for input on the future of the gallery. Community artists vs. educational exhibitions. There was some discussion.
  • Dave said he didn’t feel like he had a great network for finding local artists and was looking for assistance

Russell Collection Report

  • Bill provided a written report
  • The collection has started reorganizing Library minutes to streamline and make them easier to handle 
  • Some interest from a travel show in Boston to come look for some “uncommon” stories.

Advocates Group Report

  • Planning to do a basket raffle and a craft show while will continue in the gallery through the end of December
  • Hoping to have Santa on December 17 – the basket raffle will be held then. 
  • Advocates are working on gathering gift certificates for one or more gift certificate basket
  • Phyllis reported that the total for Library was $961 for the Chili dinner, 50/50 raffle and Pie auction.

Old Business:

  1. Library needs to come up with basket contribution. Last year was a “Best Sellers” theme. Brian recommended a “chocolate” basket and all agreed. Due date was 11/14. Asking for board members to bring donations. These can be brought to the next board meeting.
  2. We received a check from Mack Molding for $10,000 for computers and a new copier. Six new computers have been purchased (5 PC’s and 1 Mac). The copier is approximately $3,500 and has not been purchased yet. Along with some peripherals, this will use the bulk of the $10,000.
  3. Assistant librarian search – The job description is complete (Laura and Phyllis). It will now be posted and interviews are anticipated later in the month. Hopefully, some overlap with Peggy
  4. Review board business calendar – Need to decide amount to ask each town for the November meeting. Phyllis will look up where we are with each town. Sheila will talk with Phyllis about the personnel Annual Reviews. Annual cost of living increases are also to be reviewed. Sheila will discuss with Denise.

New Business:

  1. Patron accident – An accident report was filled out and submitted to our insurance company. Patron has a broken shoulder. Not sure if any claims will be made against the Library or not. The patron suggested putting a railing on the other side of the sloped sidewalk. Phyllis to investigate
  2. Board member resignation – Sally submitted a letter of resignation and will not stay on until the end of her term. Cathy has also sent an email indicating that she does not have the time to devote to the position and is also resigning.
  3. Annual fund letters – Brian is leaving on October 25 until approximately Thanksgiving. He is hoping to get letters out before he leaves. More personal letters typically go to those who donate $100 or more. Brian is looking for ideas for the “theme”. Ideas were a) computers and technology, b) Russell Collection, c) salary/wage increases, d) community center

Brian made a motion to adjourn. It was seconded by Betsy. The motion passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 8:10 PM.

Next meeting – Monday, November 4 th at 7PM









New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists