martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
November 4, 2018

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM

Board Members In attendance: Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Carol Farley, Betsy Habberfield, Judy Steron, Laura Crosslin, Denise Koller
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)
Guests: Bob Dudley
Board Members Absent: Dave Van De Water, Brian Allen

Additions to the agenda– Add annual fund letters under old business. Add board membership under old business

Minutes
   -Previous meeting’s minutes – Betsy moved that the October minutes be approved with one correction (change “month” to “September”). Denise seconded. The motion carried unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report (summary):
   -Nothing in particular to report. Things are going well. Kraus did well in October.

Librarian’s Report (summary):
   -New copier and computers have arrived and installed. 5 new PCs and a Mac.
   -Started a young writers’ group.
   -6 th grade classes are coming down to the library regularly
   -Weeding in the fiction section. Children’s section is next
   -Got quite a lot of applications. Phyllis says 4 or 5 will be interviewed in the near future.
   -A full written report was submitted.

Programming (Adult, Youth, Children’s)
   -
VT reads programs
   -Interesting talk by Bill B. on Eugenics.

Russell Collection Report
   -Betsy asked about the “holiday cards”. Bill explained that they are old photos that are printed as cards and sold in the library.
   -Sheila asked about the microfilm readers. Bill said that everything is on-line now. There doesn’t appear to be much reason to hang on to them any longer. One is in disrepair.
   -Asked about selling some furniture and other items like encyclopedias for a fund raiser. Advocates’ group has been talking about a Gala in the spring. Items are in a garage in Sunderland. Stephen Congdon’s children donated them to be used for fundraising.
   -Bill got a history of Arlington posted on the “Happening in Arlington, VT” Facebook page that has some inaccuracies. Bill will contact the head of the Community Group to try and correct the inaccuracies.
   -A full written report was submitted.

Old Business:
   1. Annual Fund letters – Brian has drafted a letter and handed off to Sheila. Mallory recommended we target some of the wealthier people in town. Denise suggested we need to look at some other approaches – perhaps gatherings of some sort. Judy described some of her experience with fundraising groups/people.
Carol suggested we get together to personalize some of the letters to potential high donors. Judy suggested some middle school and high school students could do this. Add people who ask for help from the Russell Collection should be added to the list – may need permission. John to give list of top donors to Sheila. John to send copies of previous letters.
We discussed we need a bigger fundraising strategy in place.
   2. New board members – finding board members who are comfortable with fund raising. Denise had a suggestion. Tomorrow night is the Renewal meeting. Could we make an announcement there? Sheila is considering asking Bill Henry. We are currently short 3 board members. There was more discussion of a student role in the library / board.
   3. Town funding requests – Ask Arlington for $21,500 at Brian’s suggestion – a 9.69% increase – last year was $19,600. If corresponding increases were applied to the other towns, this would result in Sunderland going from $8,300 to $9,100, Sandgate going from $3,450 to $3,800 and Shaftsbury going from $2,100 to $2,300.
John said he thought that a 9.6% increase was too high and far exceeded the annual cost of living increase. Discussion continued and it was agreed to stick with the original numbers using the salary adjustments as a main factor in asking for the high increase.

New Business:
   1. We will be conducting an annual review for the head librarian. Laura will be leading this effort and Sheila will be participating.
   2. Discussion of budget planning process for 2020. Phyllis will draft thing for the finance committee meeting in December. This will be discussed and edited and presented to the full board in January.
   3. Staff compensation for 2020. Information from Denise said the cost of living was rounded up and that determined the increase. We will put this on the agenda for a vote for the next meeting in December.

Next meeting – Monday, December 2 nd at 7PM

Meeting adjourned at 8:40 PM.

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists