martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 •

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment


June 1, 2020

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was held via video conference and was called to order at 7:06 PM

Board Members In attendance: Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Betsy Habberfield, Laura Crosslin, Judy
Steron, Brian Allen, Carol Farley, Alyson Grzyb, Bill Henry, Denise Koller
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)
Guests: None
Board Members Absent: Dave Van De Water
There were no additions to the agenda

 Previous meeting’s minutes – There were no additions or corrections. Brian moved that the
May minutes be approved. Betsy seconded. The motion carried unanimously.
Treasurer’s Report
 Report submitted
 Brokerage account is above where we were at the end of last year. This was celebrated.
 Bill asked about the differences between balance sheet and income statement. Bill asked if the
endowment was fair market value or a cost basis. Denise said it was fair market value.
 Phyllis asked about the budget for books. Denise said that the budget was prorated by 5
 Denise’s audio was cutting in and out and difficult to hear at times. Additional clarifications can
be followed up via email.
 We did receive funds for the SBA loans for continuation of business. Since we were able to
continue business, we will be able to submit forms to have the loan forgiven.
Librarian’s Report
 Report submitted
 Working on getting supplies and Holly is working on summer programming. Holly to do some
rock painting. Should be good for spacing out kids, doing outside, or giving out take-home kits.
 Conference cancelled so signing up for webinars instead.

 Requested a plexiglass shield for the front desk.
 Lot of overdues, but should be getting more back when we open.
Russell Collection
 Report submitted
 Dave Thomas’ family donated books with Vermont themes
 Donated a Miscal print dated 1889 documented the Civil War
 Kevin Walsh posting history of Arlington things on Facebook. Kelly Stand Hotel was featured.
Old Business
 Fire alarm update – Hathaway was contracted and has ordered parts, but we have not had a
date scheduled yet. Phyllis will check in.
New Business
 Carol asked about when to start up adult programming again.
She had Battenkill Valley Health lined up but it was postponed. It was suggested that this could
be done virtually on a Wednesday or Thursday.
 Denise has concern about costs for extra liability insurance with the Aperture Exhibit. We are
paying extra for it. We can drop that extra expense once the exhibit is out of the library.
 A sign was put up on Martha’s Book House indicating there was a delay in opening. Phyllis will
check in with Sandy to see if she can help at all. Book sorting in the basement still needs to
happen. Sheila said this was less of a priority until regular library operations get stable.
 Plans for reopening – VT Dept of Libraries meeting on-line last Thursday. 165 librarians logged
in. Main theme was go cautiously and don’t promote or emphasize “social things”. Focus on
basic operations. Curbside service is still the preferred method. Governor has approved
gatherings to 25. 12 in the building is our current maximum including staff and volunteers.
Tentative date of June 16 th . Some cleaning needs to be done and the shield installed and
furniture moved to separate people. Bill asked about how we handle people browsing and
touching and looking at many books.
Sheila asked about being able to obtain supplies from the state. Instead, the state provided a
list of possible sources for the supplies. Sheila asked about using our current supplier of other
supplies. Bill H. will find out about a distributer in Manchester. Alyson asked about hours.
Phyllis, Holly, and Bill B. will get together and figure out what the hours can be.
Brian asked if curbside service would still be available and Phyllis said, “yes”. Sheila was
concerned about setting a date when we don’t have all supplies in hand. No definite date on
the Plexiglas yet. Order was just placed last Friday. We could not open without this. Brian
suggested we leave the opening date flexible until we get more certain on the supplies and
Alyson made a motion that we move forward with Phyllis’ plan allow her to set the hours and
date of opening. Brian seconded. Further discussion - Betsy reminded us of the fire alarm
work. The motion was passed unanimously.

July is usually an off month, but Sheila suggested we plan on meeting based on the current

Next Meeting: Monday July, 6 2020 @ 7 pm, perhaps in person.

Brian moved that we adjourn. Carol seconded. The motion was passed unanimously.
The meeting ended at 7:54 PM

New Books

for all ages


Click to see updated lists