martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING

July 7, 2020

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was held at the library and via video conference and was called to order at 7:07 PM

Board Members In attendance: Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Brian Allen, Laura Crosslin, Judy Steron,
Alyson Grzyb, Denise Koller, Carol Farley
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)
Guests: None
Board Members Absent: Dave Van De Water, Bill Henry, Betsy Habberfield, Don Trachte
There were no additions to the agenda
Minutes
 Previous meeting’s minutes – John will update the June minutes to distinguish Bill Budde from
Bill Henry by use of an initial. Denise moved that the June minutes be approved. Carol
seconded. The motion carried unanimously.
Treasurer’s Report
 Report submitted
 Denise reported that everything looks good. Very good with Kraus.
 Denise researched the CD and reported on its makeup. Part of the money is for the Arlington
Historical Society. Not much action with the Historical Society. The plan is to take out a portion
of the CD (see if we can get the fee waived) and leave the rest in an account until a decision on
the Historical Society is made or 1/1/21.
 Alyson moved that the CD be dissolved, putting the Townscape funds in a new savings account
and disburse the library funds to the library and Russell Collection funds to the Russell
Collection. The motion carried unanimously.
 Denise reported on the credit card machine at the library. The current system is old and
expensive. Denise is proposing that we use PayPal going forward. We need to look into how
this would be set up on the website. The overall costs would be significantly less.
 Sheila asked that Denise and Laura investigate further and bring the results to board at the next
meeting. We can terminate the use of the current terminal and save fees at any time
Librarian’s Report
 Report submitted
 Curbside pickup is still in effect and working
 Holly has been working on summer youth programming for pickup at the library
 Also putting little activity kits in the summer lunch program and putting more outside the library
for those who do not get the summer lunch program.
 Everything else is “normal”
Russell Collection
 Report submitted
 More material has come in from Dave Thomas’ estate and we’re expecting some more
Gallery Report
 The Aperture Exhibit was taken down but still not shipped back.
 Phyllis reported that FedEx was supposed to come last week and pick it up but did not show.
She will contact Dave and let him know of the situation.
Adult Programming
 Carol reported that a talk (Blacks in the Battle of Bennington) was supposed to happen on
August 9 and asked what to do. Phyllis suggested perhaps using the reading room instead of the
meeting room and opening the windows. Brian suggested putting it off until the fall and see if
people start coming back to the library by then.
 The other topic was doing a Lyme disease talk with Battenkill Valley Health but we haven’t
settled on that either. Carol will contact Kate.
 Bill B. never finished the genealogy talks. We discussed possibly having him continue this series
on Zoom or GoToMeeting.
Old Business
 Reopening the library – Phyllis shared an updated plan. Possibly opening by appointment in the
near future (July 9). She would now like to push that out until July 14, at this point. Denise
recommended delaying 2 weeks to allow visitors for the 4 th of July to clear out and make sure
there is no surge of the virus. It was recommended was to postpone the opening until July 21.
Carol suggested allowing Phyllis to make the decision.
Phyllis said that the hours would be near “normal” with the exception of Thursday nights.
People could call or email for an appointment.
Denise motioned that we approve the plan with the date for opening of July 21 st barring any
unforeseen circumstances. Brian seconded. The motion carried unanimously.
 Fire alarm update – This work will begin at 7:30AM tomorrow, Wednesday, July 8.
 Martha’s Book House – Phyllis suggested having a subcommittee be put together to help move
this along. Windows in the community house are being replaced. No one has talked with Sandy
about assisting. Phyllis will try to get in contact with Sandy in the next few days.
New Business

 None

Next Meeting: Monday August, 3 2020 @ 7 pm, perhaps in person.
Brian moved that we adjourn. Alyson seconded. The motion was passed unanimously.
The meeting ended at 7:55 PM

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists