martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING

March 8, 2021

**Minutes are considered to be in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was held at the library and via video conference and was called to order at 7:03 PM

Board Members In attendance: Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Alyson Grzyb, Brian Allen, Betsy Habberfield, Denise Koller, Judy Steron, Carol Farley, Dave Van De Water, Don Trachte
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)
Guests: None
Board Members Absent: None

Public comment – there were no comments

Additions to the agenda –
    • Discuss the Book House
    • Discuss the Gallery

Minutes
    • Previous meeting’s minutes – Brian moved that we approve the February minutes with no changes. Dave seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report
    • Financial statement presented in advance
    • Not much to say
    • Endowment was relatively flat
    • We got a nice thank you note from the bookkeeper, Cindy

Librarian’s Report
    • Written report submitted in advance
    • Annual report submitted to the state
    • Holly doing on-line story times and making kits for people to take home
    • Phyllis doing some weeding in certain sections.
    • Discussion on whether to open again for appointments. 10 or less cases each day in Bennington county. Don said he feels we are about a month away with some of the vaccinations that are taking place. Carol said there are 3 cases at school. Phyllis would prefer to wait a little longer. Phyllis to review weekly with Bill and Holly and she will let the board know when they feel comfortable again. We will revisit in April. Phyllis will continue to monitor the town hall.
    • Phyllis talked to Peggy and she suggested that the advocates host a jigsaw puzzle exchange in March and April. Peggy will be organizing with Phyllis.

Russell Collection
    • Written report submitted.
    • It was a slow month. A couple of genealogy queries
    • Dave thanked Bill for some research he had done for the history of the Wayside Store

Gallery Report
    • Dave asked for input on when to start planning things for the summer time
    • Need to rebuild the committee
    • Several galleries in the area have gone out of business. The marketing is growing with people moving into the area
    • Brian suggested an opening exhibition of what artists have done in the past year during “lock down”. Perhaps doing in the fall would be a good time. Doesn’t feel like we’ll be ready by this summer
    • Dave would like to find someone really connected to the art community to be part of the committee. Feels like we need to make a fresh start
    • Betsy would like to provide a support role, but is not really in touch with the art community
    • Carol was thinking about combining Adult Programming with the Gallery
    • Dave suggested a Zoom meeting to share some ideas and brainstorm. He will follow-up.

New Business
    • Town meeting results – the Library got its funding from Arlington. Sandgate has not had its meeting yet. Shaftsbury had it meeting and the library funding passed.
    • Volunteer Recognition event – usually in May. Perhaps a picnic outside? Perhaps delay a few weeks until the weather can be more reliable. Maybe do it at the rec park? More to come.
    • Book house – Thinking about getting this going again this summer. We have continued to pay rent during the whole period. Farmer’s market will be at the rec park this summer. We need a person or persons to organize it. The person from the past is no longer able to. Phyllis can help,
but can’t take on the whole project. Laura suggested ideas for phasing in but having it open every other weekend or once a month. Spill out into the yard some more. Maybe 3 sale weekends over the summer? The Russell Collection has several duplicate books – Bill looking for ways to sell these to make some money for the Collection.

Old Business
    • Bookkeeper recognition update – see bullet under Treasurer’s report

Brian moved to adjourn. Betsy seconded. The vote passed unanimously.

Next Meeting: Monday April 5, 2020 @ 7 pm.

The meeting ended at 7:51 PM

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists