martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING

April 5, 2021

**Minutes are in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was held at the library and via video conference and was called to order at 7:03 PM
Board Members In attendance: Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Alyson Grzyb, Brian Allen, Betsy Habberfield, Judy Steron, Carol Farley, Dave Van De Water,
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)
Guests: None
Board Members Absent: Denise Koller, Don Trachte
Public comment – there were no comments

Additions to the agenda –
    • No additions

Minutes
    • Previous meeting’s minutes – Brian moved that we approve the February minutes with no changes. Sheila seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report
    • Financial statements were presented in advance
    • Denise was not in attendance so all questions should be directed to her directly or at the next meeting

Librarian’s Report
    • Written report was submitted in advance
    • Received tablet computers – working on a policy for loaning
    • Received a $600 grant from Stewarts
    • Met with new Director from Happy Days. Discussed possible collaborations
    • Holly starting to plan summer activities
    • Next puzzle exchange on April 17
    • Discussion of re-opening. Town hall is accepting visits by appointment. Holly is comfortable with appointments. Phyllis is a little bit leery but willing to open by appointment. Brian suggested that Phyllis get her second vaccination (in 1 week) and then wait 2 weeks and then open by appointment. John reported that the latest Governor’s report said the next 3 weeks are critical. Sheila concurred and said we should look to other peer libraries. Judy said she had seen people in public buildings with no masks and said we should be prepared to enforce the mask policy. Phyllis will look for guidance. Bill asked what we would do if some refused to wear a mask or leave. Bill suggested that a policy be developed to deal with this situation. Phyllis suggested perhaps adding it to our Behavior Policy. The topic will be reviewed again at the May meeting.

Russell Collection
    • Written report submitted.
    • Bill reminded us that we have good collections of VT periodicals. He will work with Phyllis to ensure that they are cataloged on-line so more people are aware they exist
    • Bill was contacted by VT Historical Society. They have some 16mm films that they are considering donating

Gallery Report
    • Dave has had some conversations, but no formal meeting yet. Betsy had some ideas for collaboration between the Garden Club and the Gallery. Another idea was to have an “old fashioned” art show later in the fall in the center of town. Carol had an idea of Cultural Events that brought together art, talks/discussions, etc. More planning to happen.

New Business
    • No new business

Old Business
    • Book House – no specific updates. The sidewalk construction might impact the Book House as well. Laura considering 3 events throughout the summer rather than every weekend. Phyllis pointed out that setting up, breaking down, from a book sale can be a lot of work. We currently don’t have a leader or other volunteers for the Book House. Bill Henry is willing to help move books. Need to wait a while longer to get guidance from town and state on pandemic rules.
    • Volunteer Recognition Event – Need to wait on this event for guidance also. Dave asked if there was another form of recognition that we could do this year? Perhaps a small gift and some public recognition. Phyllis will ask other librarians if they have done anything similar. Sheila suggested lawn signs like was done for graduates.


Brian moved to adjourn. Carol seconded. The vote passed unanimously.
Next Meeting: Monday May 3, 2020 @ 7 pm.
The meeting ended at 8:13 PM

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists