martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 •

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment


May 3, 2021

**Minutes are in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was held at the library and via video conference and was called to order at 7:03 PM

Board Members In attendance: Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Alyson Grzyb, Betsy Habberfield, Judy Steron, Denise Koller
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)
Guests: John White
Board Members Absent: Brian Allen, Don Trachte, Dave Van De Water, Carol Farley

Public comment – there were no comments

Additions to the agenda –
   • Garden tour and Gallery

   • Previous meeting’s minutes – Betsy moved that we approve the February minutes with no changes. Denise seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report
   • Financial statements were presented in advance
   • Denise reported that the library is doing fine financially
   • The endowment is doing very well
   • The Library applied for and was granted forgiveness for the $11,200 SBA PPP Loan received last year from Berkshire Bank
   • It is tax time for the library

Librarian’s Report
   • Written report was submitted in advance
   • Phyllis attended a VT Department of Libraires – some of the Federal money that may be available was discussed. The DOL is tracking these options. They also went over the VT Reopening plan. Library can open. Masks and social distancing are still required.
   • Puzzle exchange went very well. It will be held again in May and June.
   • Summer programs will try to be held outside when possible. If they need to be indoors, then they might have limited attendance allowed.
   • Discussion of re-opening. The library is ready to open and Holly and Phyllis are eager to open. Still at 50% capacity. Want to keep the 30 minute time limit to avoid any capacity issues. Betsy asked if Phyllis expected a rush on May 15 for taxes. Phyllis would like to open tomorrow. Sheila asked Phyllis if she expected any crowding issues after school. There is a limit on number of people in the youth and children’s rooms. Phyllis will put out a list of guidelines with the “rules” and send out information for the school newsletter. Judy asked about the quarantining of materials. Phyllis said the library guidance is to still quarantine the materials. Phyllis will likely cut it down from 1 week to 3 days. Small groups will be allowed to use the meeting room again. The 50% number of people is 24 people in the building at one time – including staff and volunteers.
   • Sheila moved that we follow the reopening plan proposed by Phyllis. Denise seconded. The motion was passed unanimously.

Russell Collection
   • Written report submitted.
   • Bill reported it was a quiet month, probably due to the nicer weather.
   • Most queries have been around house history and similar topics.
   • Betsy thanked Bill for the article he sent her about the Garden Club Tour

Gallery Report
   • Betsy discussed the Garden Club Tour that has been going on for decades. This year it will be on the third Saturday in July. Dave and Carol would be involved and arrange for artists to be at the various gardens (plein air). In the fall we would have a gallery show, either outdoors or in the
gallery depending on the status of things. It would be called “Artists in the Garden”. It would generate some revenue for the Gallery. Dave asked about sharing proceeds. The Garden Club would sell tickets to the show and the Library would get proceeds from the sale of the paintings.
   • Christy Wood, the high school art teacher, might be able to get a couple of kids involved.
   • Nancy Tschorn is about to release her new book, The History of the Wayside Country Store. She has agreed to give a talk on this. Hoping to get Bill involved and promote the Russell Collection as a community resource.
   • Denise asked if the Library’s gardens were ever brought up with the Garden Club. There was a name of someone who might be interested and also suggested a possible group in Bennington. Phyllis will talk with Pat Williams.

New Business
   • Active shooter policy – Phyllis has been looking through information she had obtained. The school is in the process of revising their policy. Phyllis, Bill, and Betsy will start to research. Phyllis also suggested in getting in touch with the State Police. Bill pointed out that with recent events, now is a good time to get this in place. It would be good to have a drill once a policy is in place.
   • There was some discussion of the safety policy and protocols at the library.
   • John (guest) reported that there will be no Norman’s Attic. Hopefully, the Harvest Fest will be held.
   • Bill was interested in using the Zoom account to handle some discussions (genealogy and others).

Old Business
   • Behavior policy regarding masks/COVID guidelines. This will be discussed in conjunction with the active shooter policy and how to deal with difficult customers.
   • Book House – no further direction yet.
   • Denise reported that the Advocates had not met over the winter but will be coming together again soon. The Spring Fling or something to replace it will be discussed. Some sort of fund raiser.

Alyson moved to adjourn. Denise seconded. The vote passed unanimously.
Next Meeting: Monday June 7, 2020 @ 7 pm.
The meeting ended at 7:50 PM

New Books

for all ages


Click to see updated lists