martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 •

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

June 7, 2021

**Minutes are in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**
The Board meeting was held at the library and via video conference and was called to order at 7:06 PM

Board Members In attendance: Sheila Kearns, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Judy Steron, Don Trachte, Carol Farley

Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)

Board Members Absent: Brian Allen, Denise Koller, Alyson Grzyb, Betsy Habberfield, Dave Van De Water
Public comment – there were no comments

Additions to the agenda –
  -Garden upkeep

   -Previous meeting’s minutes – could not be voted on due to not having a quorum. Correction to the May minutes: Phyllis pointed out that the Vermont Department of Libraries meeting was a webinar and that there was a typo.

Treasurer’s Report
   -Financial statements were presented in advance
   -Annual fund planning – Start in August

Librarian’s Report
   -Written report was submitted in advance
   -Holly getting ready for the summer reading program. Reading records are ready for pickup – both kids and adults – publicity underway
   -Phyllis attended the Vermont Department of Libraries virtual conference – focus was on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
   -Phyllis has done some more weeding of books
   -The next puzzle exchange on June 19
   -Not too many kids are coming in after school, but circulation is starting to pick up.
   -Mask update – masks and physical distancing are not required if you are vaccinated but are if you are unvaccinated. Should we change the signs to read – masks on required if not vaccinated. What to do if there are kids under the vaccination age? According to the Governor,  it is up to each business to set the rules. Sheila suggested wording recommending wearing a mask due to the possibility of unvaccinated children being present. Phyllis will work out some wording suggesting that visitors wear a mask but it is not required if you are vaccinated. Be considerate of our younger patrons who may not be vaccinated.

Russell Collection
   -Written report submitted.
   -Bill there was nothing else to report

New Business
   -Garden – the areas around the library need to be attended to. Only $135 in the budget for landscaping and snow removal. Brandon Tschorn used to do it. He should be able to give us a quote for various stages of cleanup. Carol said that the school has kids who can do some yard work and the school will pay them. Carol will get more information tomorrow.

Old Business
   -Update on an active shooter policy for the library. Bill reported the discussion was still in process. It should move fairly quickly and can be simple. Phyllis pulled the safety policy and is reviewing that as well.
   -Phyllis has a couple of volunteers who might be willing to take over the book sale. She will be meeting with them soon. We might be able to reopen sometime in July.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:42 PM

Next Meeting: Monday August 2, 2020 @ 7 pm.

New Books

for all ages


Click to see updated lists