martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
October 4, 2021

**Minutes are in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was held at the library and via video conference and was called to order at 7:09 PM
Board Members In attendance: Brian Allen, Denise Koller, Alyson Grzyb, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Judy Steron, Carol Farley
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)
Guests: None
Board Members Absent: Betsy Habberfield, Dave Van De Water, Don Trachte, Sheila Kearns

Public comment – there were no comments

Additions to the agenda –

  • None

Minutes

  • Previous meeting’s minutes – A couple of corrections to the September minutes.  ARPA Grant for the 3rd bullet under Phyllis’ report.  Fifth bullet should read Thursday, not Tuesday.  Under the Russell report Holly should be Hawley.  Denise moved to approve the minutes as corrected, Carol seconded.  The minutes were approved unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report

  • Financial statements were presented in advance
  • Bookkeeper moving away – Our current bookkeeper, Cindy, will be selling her home and travelling in a motor home. Offered to continue doing if it could all be done remotely.  Our accountant recommended another person in Arlington.  A qualified bookkeeper would need to know Quickbooks.  The board was hesitant to have a “remote” bookkeeper.  Cindy is on until mid-November.  Denise will contact Vicky, the recommendation from our accountant to see if she has availability.  If not, Denise will seek out other references.
  • Town Fund Request Prep – Laura to get Sheila’s previous spreadsheet on per capita funding by each town and historical increases. It was suggested that we might want to request some increases this year since the federal government has been helping fund local government.
  • Staff Compensation annual review – We base a cost-of-living increase on government numbers. The increase is expected to be significantly higher in 2022. There was a personnel committee that performed the performance reviews in the past.  Phyllis will do Holly’s review and the Personnel Committee will perform Phyllis’ review.  Phyllis will start pulling some performance review documents together.

Librarian’s Report

  • Written report was submitted in advance
  • Phyllis reported that we took in $380 in tag sale items. $140 in 50/50 raffle which is still open.
    No news yet on ARPA grant – hopefully soon.
    Rest of report is mostly statistics
  • Tablet Policy – Bill made some suggestions that people thought were good. Phyllis will move forward with the updated policy.
  • Library Reopening Draft – Brian shared his views – masks can be harmful to smaller children. He does not want to be compelled to wear a mask. Wants any “Covid Mandate” to come before the board.  Wants people who are unvaccinated to wear masks.
    Phyllis put in wording that we would follow any government mandates.
    Phyllis said she would be comfortable with requiring masks for those who are unvaccinated and recommending masks for all others.
    Carol made the point that Phyllis and Bill are there every day and with many volunteers – what is their level of comfort?
    Most of Phyllis’ recommended changes were approved.  She will retype it and send it out a final version.
    Bottom line – next to last bullet will add a notification of the board.  Last bullet will say unvaccinated people must mask, all other are recommended to wear masks.
  • Brian moved we accept the recommendations Phyllis made with the changes above. Carol seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

Russell Collection

  • Written report submitted.
  • Bill discussed some of the donations made in the past month including some newspapers.


Adult Programming

  • Carol reported that on November 21 - William Edgeless will do a talk on Cultivating Mindful Awareness – this is a Sunday, and the talk will be at 2PM. This is funded by the Humanities Council. We’ll play it by ear whether it will be in-person or via Zoom (or hybrid).
  • Perhaps do some yoga, meditation, etc. during November. Bill had a contact for Tai-Chi.
  • Alyson recommended using Google Forms for “sign-ups”
  • Phyllis suggested that we contact Battenkill Valley Health Care on future topics.

Gallery Committee

  • No update from the gallery committee. Denise mentioned that some paintings has been sold but she never saw any deposits. Phyllis has the money and will deposit soon.  They will coordinate on paying the artists.

New Business

  • Annual Fund Draft Letter – Brian will do this over the weekend. Brian is leaving town on 10/25.
  • John and Phyllis will work on updating the list with new patrons and an address review.

Old Business

  • Santa may be retiring.
  • Deadline for the basket raffle is all of October. The board’s theme is Chocolate Lovers
  • Book house is slowing down some now. We’ll go through the last weekend in October.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:17 PM

Next Meeting: Monday November 1, 2021 @ 7 pm.

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists