martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 •

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment



March 7, 2022

**Minutes are in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**


The Board meeting was held at the library and via video conference and was called to order at 7:03 PM

Board Members In attendance: Betsy Habberfield, Alyson Grzyb, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Judy Steron, Stephannie Peters, John Hess, Peggy Hanson, Brian Allen

Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection)

Guests: None

Board Members Absent: Sheila Kearns, Don Trachte

Public comment – there were no comments

Additions to the agenda –

              Discussion on masking in the library (add to Librarian’s Report)



  • Previous meeting’s minutes (February) were reviewed - No additions or corrections –
  • Stephannie moved to approve the minutes.  John H. seconded.  The minutes were approved unanimously.


Treasurer’s Report

  • A written report was submitted in advance. Denise is still helping until a new Treasurer is identified.
  • Peggy asked about the line in the budget for $5,000 for the Advocates’ group. The philosophy of the Advocates’ group is that any money that they raise should be above any budget of the library. There was discussion about what to do with the line in the budget.  John S. proposed moving the $5,000 currently under 4122 Advocates Fundraising to 4100 Donations and Fundraising (currently zero).
  • Stephannie asked about town allocations and other donations and fundraising. She wondered if we were behind budget. There was a discussion about how the income is not evenly distributed and can be difficult to track progress.
  • It was reported that Arlington, Sunderland, and Sandgate all passed their budgets. Shaftsbury’s budget passed as well.
  • Brian will get in contact with Missy and ask for a presentation on the Endowment and schedule a meeting via Zoom.


Librarian’s Report

  • Phyllis submitted a written report in advance of the meeting.
  • He and Holly are doing a lot of the usual tasks.
  • Phyllis is discussing some programming ideas and has received some suggestions for Adult Programming.
  • Librarians are learning about the new app the VT Library is working on for digital books
  • Statistics are normal for February
  • State is dropping masking requirements as of March 14th. CDC is still recommending masks indoors. No one knows what the Town Hall is doing.  Some discussion on schools.  John H. recommended we keep things the way they are for now until the next board meeting.  Brian and others agreed.

Russell Collection

  • Bill provided a written report submitted.
    • Four paintings donated. Might be able to display them at Arlington Commons
    • Working on Remember Baker
    • Dave Thomas’ family wants to have a Memorial Service on June 25th, likely at the Rec Park.
    • Completed 5 walking tours for use on an app. More tours are being developed.

Adult Programming

  • No updates in this area.


Gallery Committee

  • Betsy said the Gallery opening went well with about 60 visitors.
  • Two painting sold opening day.
  • Next opening is in May


New Business

  • Bill said the kitchen in the basement could use some newer appliances (stove, microwave, refrigerator). Someone suggested posting on Front Porch Forum.
  • Advocates Plans – a couple of new members. Good enthusiasm. Have 3 dates at the Farmer’s Market.  50/50 raffle the first night.  Bake sale 2nd  Basket raffle the 3rd time.  Will do Norman’s Attic again.  Mainly smaller stuff.  Instead of the Gala, perhaps an on-line auction.  Considering the Congdon furniture for the auction.  Get it appraised first.  The Advocates have some references from groups who have had successful on-line auctions.
  • We’ve had no volunteer appreciation event for a while. We should consider scheduling something soon. Seeking to have it outdoors once the weather is warmer.

Old Business

  • Phyllis will try to call a landscaper. She will call the person she tried last year but they did not respond. Some additional planting may be needed.  Alyson will provide the name of someone who helped at the Church last year.  Peggy asked if we should put something on Front Porch Forum.  A few other folks had potential people that they could ask.  Brian recommended contacting Brandon Tshorn.

Brian moved we adjourn.  Laura seconded.  The motion passed unanimously.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:11 PM

Next Meeting: April 4, 2022

New Books

for all ages


Click to see updated lists