martha canfield library

PO Box 267 • 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT • 05250
802.375.6153 • martha_canfield_lib@hotmail.com

  • Tuesday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Wednesday — 9:00AM – 5:00PM
  • Thursday — 9:00AM – 8:00PM
  • Friday — 2:00PM – 6:00PM
  • Saturday — 10:00AM – 3:00PM

Russell Collection

Open 9:00AM – 5:00PM
Tuesdays or by appointment

MARTHA CANFIELD MEMORIAL LIBRARY
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
April 4, 2022

**Minutes are in DRAFT form until approved at the next scheduled meeting**

The Board meeting was held at the library and via video conference and was called to order at 7:03 PM
Board Members In attendance: Alyson Grzyb, John Spencer, Laura Crosslin, Betsy Habberfield, Judy Steron, Stephannie Peters, John Hess, Peggy Hanson, Brian Allen
Staff: Phyllis Skidmore (Librarian), Bill Budde (Russell Collection), Holly Dix (Assistant Librarian)
Guests: None
Board Members Absent: Sheila Kearns, Don Trachte
Public comment – there were no comments
Additions to the agenda – No additions.
Minutes
• Previous meeting’s minutes (March) were reviewed - No additions or corrections –
• Stephannie moved to approve the minutes. Brian seconded. The minutes were approved unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report
• A written report was submitted in advance.
• Peggy asked about line “4200 operating grants”. Phyllis said this is usually the summer program budget. Other grants are usually considered “project grants”.
• The endowment review meeting is on April 12th. Laura to check and see if she sent out the link if she hasn’t already. The meeting will be held via video conference.

Librarian’s Report
• Phyllis submitted a written report in advance of the meeting.
• Some grants have come in or will come in.
• Library conference will be held person this year. The conference is June 1st.
• We have received books for VT Reads.
• Starting in-persons story time after Easter.
• Phyllis is working on diversity training. Phyllis discussed how diversity relates to the library and the books that we have and how accurate they are in depicting different cultures and lifestyles. John H. asked what happens if we find “objectionable” materials. He prefers educating people on what they might find and how to research what is more accurate.
• Circulation is starting to rebound a bit.
• Pokemon event for kids
• Zen Garden Craft event for adults on April 30th

Russell Collection
• Bill provided a written report submitted.
• Donation of another painting – Leale Towsley.
• Good turnout for the Remember Baker memorial
• Planning an exhibit for the Arlington Commons
• Some genealogy queries

Adult Programming
• Working on some other adult programming. Bill is working on a program for May 22 about Lucy Terry Prince.

Gallery Committee
• No report

Book Sale
• Will open Memorial Day weekend

New Business
• Peggy started a discussion on Arlington Commons. They seem to be doing a lot of things like the library does/used to do. How will their programming and art programs impact the library? Betsy has thought about this too. Laura sees this as an opportunity for cross-pollination. Further discussion on the goals of the library. How do we differentiate (or do we need to) our programming from that of the Commons? How do we keep whatever we do unique to Vermont? We need to figure out how the organizations can complement each other. There was a suggestion for book groups at the library.
• Holly is hoping to attract more teens to the library. Perhaps a newsletter to send up to the high school to try and attract some of them over the summer.
• Brian recommended we all start meeting in person again. Discussion about the pros and cons of meeting in-person. Some don’t have any problem with the Zoom option. No changes at this point.

Old Business
• Phyllis - no feedback from Tshorn, the landscaping person discussed at the last meeting. Alyson provided another name that Phyllis will follow up with.
• Volunteer Appreciation – Phyllis would like to do a something little extra this year. There are probably about 20 volunteers (and each can bring a guest). It is usually held on Sunday afternoons. Laura can send out a Google doc for collecting potluck donations. Peggy and Betsy volunteered to head up the effort. Holly pointed out that they are both volunteers in additional to Trustees. Holly is also willing to help out. Phyllis will suggest a date.
• Any Farmers Marketing preparation that needs to be done? The dates the library has are June 3, July 1, and July 29. Phyllis will coordinate with the book sale people and the Advocates.
• John H. recommended to change the signage at the library to indicate that masks are optional, but everyone should still respect those who want to wear them. No one disagreed. Laura made a motion to change the signs as discussed. Brian seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

John H. moved we adjourn. Alyson seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:21 PM
Next Meeting: May 2, 2022

New Books

for all ages

clean-up

Click to see updated lists